Thursday, March 6, 2008

That's it! You're grounded!

So after today, I have decided to ground....myself.


No more grocery shopping!

I went to Safeway today for 4 gallons of milk and when I came out, the cart was overflowing and I had spent over $100 bucks! The good news is that I saved over $80, so my $180 purchase was about 45% off!?!?! Now, you may all be thinking that I bought a lot of junk or things that we really didn't need, but no. Everything that went into my basket was food that we will actually eat and use.....

See, here is my thought process.....

"Wow, beans are on sale for $.79"
"Hmmmm, it's really rare to find them that cheap"
"I better buy 20"

or this....

"Now lets see.... if I buy 10 boxes of cheerios I can get them all for $1 instead of $1.50"
"Wow, regularly they are $3.99"
"Hmmmm, I better buy 20."

I probably only bought 10 items, but doing the math....10 items and 20 of each item....wow that is like 200 items. That's a fabulous deal. And it is! Sometimes I surprise myself with how sly I can be when it comes to the art of stocking up to save money.

At the check out, the bagger asked if I wanted help out to my car.

"No, thanks....but if you wouldn't mind following me home, unloading the groceries from the trunk and finding some place for all of this to go....that'd be mighty helpful!"

Have a nice day.

5 comments:

Lacie said...

That's exciting...I love getting great deals!! That's the best time to stock up for your food storage. :)

katie said...

Good job Jen. I have a few stores that I really try to stay away from. I always spend way too much there. For example...Costco. Ugh. We have a love-hate relationship.

Heather Matthews said...

This happened to me tonight when I went to Albertsons! I think all the grocery stores are having major sales right now or something. What is the deal! The whole time I was shopping I was thinking of this blog. I wanted to call and tell you, but it was midnight.

Mandy said...

That is how I shop all the time! I have this thing with buying things in even numbers, and never just 2 or 4 more like 10 or 12, it’s something that I really need to work on.

K said...

Hey -- if the bomb drops tommorrow, you'll sure be glad you got twenty boxes of Cheerios!!!