Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Shots, shots and then....more shots.


Today was a sad day. Dallin had his 4 yr old check up and he had to get 4 shots for vaccines plus another one for his flu shot. While we were at it the doctor asked us, since we were already there, did I want Thatcher to have his flu shot as well?


Sure, why not? Bring it on!


Dallin was crying as the nurse walked in because I had mentally tried to prepare him that he was going to get a poke at the doctors office (I conveniently omitted that he was going to have to get 5 pokes!!!) but if he was a good boy (and to ease some of his mama's guilt) that afterward we would go to McDonald's!


Thatcher went first and cried for a few minutes and poor Dallin was so scared he was crying for me to hold him which I did and covered his eyes as well. It was truly sad and I really wished that I could have done it for him. He kept saying that he wanted me to go first. :) But, he really was brave and afterward we went to QFC and got him some grape chewable Tylenol (which are actually quite tasty compared to that nasty cherry liquid stuff) and then went on to McDonald's. I don't know which eased his pain: the Tylenol or McDonald's but after our little outing, he was completely cured and suffering from no side effects. I actually felt like it was worse having your 4 yr old get shots compared to having your baby get shots.


I double checked with the nurse before we left and she said no more shots until age 11! Hallelujah.

4 comments:

Heather Matthews said...

I thought the exactly same thing when Preston got his 3 year old shots - I really am grateful they get the majority of the shots when they are babies and they quickly forget and it isn't so traumatic to hold them down!!!

I am not looking forward to taking Preston in for his 4 year appointment. :( I am sure we will be doing the McDonalds thing too!!

Dallin does have to get a flu shot every year thought, right?

urg!

Heather Matthews said...

I also LOVE your family picture - who took it?

Amber said...

I know! I hated having to give I one of the older boys the shots (I don't remember which one it was). We had double appointments with Zack and they both needed them so I had the older one go first so that they wouldn't get scared after they did it to Zack and he screamed his head off. I hate shots!

April said...

The same thing happened with us and Colin was so excited when they said no shots until 11. But I must warn you, like the doctor told me when I took Colin in for his 7 year check, sometimes things change (medicine included) and then they will have to get a shot which is unexpected and makes the situation MUCH worse because they feel like they were lied too. So I would suggest not relying on that "until 11" thing too much. Let me tell you, that doctor visit was horrible and I felt so bad, like I had betrayed him. Who knew parenting was so complicated?!