Saturday, July 28, 2007

Uncontainable....


Dallin has reached a pivotal point in his life where I can no longer contain him. :) It happened one morning about a couple of months ago when I was taking care of Thatcher. I left Dallin watching a movie and went into my bedroom to to change Thatcher's diaper and help him fall asleep for his morning nap.
Now, let me just explain something...a good friend of mine told me that the trick to potty training was to let your child run around naked because he won't like the feeling of "going" on himself and after just a few accidents, he will catch on.
Well, this particular day I was trying the "naked potty training" trick. After getting Thatcher to go to sleep, my instincts kicked in as I realized that ....it was very quiet. That only means 1 of 2 things to a mother of a 2 yr old boy: either he is getting into something he shouldn't or he is making a big mess. I got up quickly and started walking stealthily through the house. I like to sneak up on him and quietly watch from behind a corner so I know what he has really been doing. If he hears me coming, he tries to conceal the evidence before I get there.
As I went from room to room, I suddenly began to worry as I realized he wasn't in the house. I ran to the backyard and called his name....nothing. I ran to the front door, but the child-lock door knob was still in place and the dead bolt was locked. My next thought was the garage....as I neared the door, I noticed the child-lock handle had been taken off the door knob. My heart began to race as I thought of all the cleaner, WD-40 and yard chemicals that were still on the floor of the garage because I just hadn't made time to find a child-proof place for them to go yet. I flung open the door and found, to my immense relief, my sneaky guy perfectly safe and riding his bike commando style!
Since this happened, Dallin has mastered the art of taking off the child-proof door knob and sneaking outside. I just can't contain him. There have been many times since, where I have found him in the front yard, helmet on his head and riding his bike out in the cul-de-sac. All I can say is ....at least he has the good sense to wear his helmet.

1 comments:

K said...

HELLO DALLIN! naked kids...That is so life around here... I can't even count how many times I tell the kids to put underwear on in a day... like way too many!